The Installation Process
This is where you get to see your vision for your room come to life!
If you plan to install your own floors:
- Check your flooring manufacturer’s website for installation tips.
- Visit an online DIY Center for helpful articles and videos.
- Look at YouTube how-to videos.
- Read DIY online forums and blogs.
When you’re ready to begin installing your floor, follow the directions closely – don’t cut corners!
If you plan to hire a professional installer:
- Talk to friends and neighbors to find a trustworthy installer.
- Ask your flooring retailer. They usually contract with installers they can recommend.
- Try Angie’s List*, a website that offers customer reviews of local professionals. (*This is a paid service.)
After you’ve hired a professional installer, schedule a meeting to discuss:
- The installation timeline
- Satisfaction guarantee. Do they cover installation problems within a month? After a year?
- Will they remove your old flooring?
- Additional project costs. You don’t want any surprises when the project’s done.
Make sure to get a written quote!
Before the Installation
These tips will help protect your furniture and home during the renovation.
- Remove all furniture.
- Seal off other rooms to keep any odors and dust from entering the rest of your home.
- Remind your family to wear shoes to protect their feet from stray splinters, nails, etc.